Monday, February 23, 2009

Yesterday

Sunday is usually a great day and yesterday was no different except a few things that I loved happened.

First, I got a phone call to sub in primary 3 hours before church, which is the way I like it actually. If I had to think about it all week, it would drive me crazy. As I got to primary and found my class, I realized that one of the boys in my class was the one boy that caused me more sleepless nights and more prayers when I was Primary President. I didn't know exactly what to do for him when I was his leader. He was a foster child and he needed a lot of attention. After a lot of phone conversations with his mother and prayers and advice, Bishop and I decided the best thing for him was his own teacher. We called him the Specialist. Rich Scow accepted the calling his wife Jenny was the teacher and he just sat with this boy and gave him what he needed. One day he even got his head stuck in a chair. It was great. Our war eventually split and he went to another ward. Before we split I could see an amazing change in him. He was getting so much better. So, yesterday I was anxious to see just who he was. He remembered that I was his leader before. He was such a good boy. Knowledgeable, responsible, quiet. I couldn't believe it was the same kid. I loved it. What a difference in just 3 years. Maybe it was some sort of payback to see that my prayers and concerns were answered.

We had a farewell in Sacrament meeting. There was a musical number. Two young sisters sang "A poor wayfaring Man of Grief". It started out a'capella. And just got better from there. It was all I could do to keep it together and not bawl my eyes out. When they finished I said to Aaron, "That was the most gorgeous song I have ever heard". Lamar Noorda got up to close the meeting with his comments and asked the girls if they would sing it again for out closing song. Apparently I wasn't the only one that thought it was awesome. They did. I couldn't keep it together again. I cried like a baby. It was even better the second time.

4 comments:

Keli said...

I cried during Sunday School. Who does that? Crazy people, that's who.

And good work on the boy. You rock.

Meg & Josh said...

I cried during YW. There, between all of us, we covered all the meeting.

I had to read a story about a woman dying from terminal cancer. A little too close to home, eh?

Heidi said...

Pretty sure I know what little boy you speak of and how ironic that you bring him up - yesterday was Zach's baptism interview at 4 so we were in the hallway as your ward was getting out. We saw that boy walk by and get a tithing slip. Andrew made a comment about how he remembers that boy being so out of control and now look at him. I was telling Andrew how much he has changed and grown up since then!
The song sounds wonderful - what sisters sang it?

Kathie said...

I love that song!