Monday, June 15, 2009

THE day

Today is "THE" day.
The day that I didn't know would change so much about my life as I knew it.
Today, last year, was diagnoses day.
Seems weird, I know, to celebrate a day like this.
I guess it isn't a celebration of sorts, just another day to get through.
Ironically, I am sitting at the computer where I posted on my blog about this day.
So, how is today any different than yesterday?
It's not.
Maybe just think about my Mom a little more.
Think about the events that took place for 6 weeks.
Mostly, realize the gift she gave us last summer.
What family gets to spend 6 weeks together, everyday?
And love it?
Cousins who never get to see each other, spend every minute together.
Making sure Dad actually ate something.
Siblings who need each other spend every minute together.
Every meal
Every Dr appointment
Every night for family prayer.
I said it was a gift, I think it was an incredible gift.
One she didn't even know she gave.

6 comments:

Larissa said...

I didn't realize it was so close to Mikaela's birthday. I didn't find out for a week or so after D-day. What a day, what a Summer, What a gift!!!

It was good to see you briefly. You look great and the kids look just as great! Time sure does fly by quickly, doesn't it?

Kelli said...

We'll never forget the Family Prayers. It's amazing how much we have learned...Thanks for everything!

Meg & Josh said...

I don't think any of us will forget this day, a year ago. In one second, our life as we knew it changed.

I can't believe it was a year ago. It seems like an eternity, but just yesterday at the same time. Crazy how that is.

I'm glad you are here for this day. I miss you guys so much.

Keli said...

I miss those family prayers. Especially the swearing during those prayers. Ironically, Mom was the one who taught us to pray, and I don't think she was able to say one during that summer, was she?

APrayerican Idol, it twas.

Man, I miss her.

Nikki said...

I can't believe it's been a year. I knew it was right about Father's Day you all found out.

Funny thing about time. It just keeps moving and we are able to see the blessings among the trial better.

You guys are a inspiration to us all, we can learn from you.

Heidi said...

I still have vivid memories of texting you and then hearing the word CANCER - hard to believe it's been a whole year since then, but I agree that all the time you and your family got to spend together was a gift indeed!!