Thursday, May 17, 2007

Hard to turn 11


I don't remember it being so hard to turn 11. Poor Carter. It all started a couple weeks ago when he had to go to the puberty class at school. He made it through with a few giggles and a lot of embarrassment, but he made it. The next day he came home and told me that a good friend of his, a girl, asked him to go out. Now if I had to betroth him to someone it would be her. Maybe in a few years. He was very concerned that I would not let him "go with her". When I told him I thought it would be OK he was very excited. He told her "YES" face to face the next day. Oh the drama. The next few days I could tell that something was bugging him, so I asked him what was going on. With tears in his eyes "Kendal won't talk to me". Hello? Is my son a girl? This is not the conversation I thought I would be having with my 10 year old SON. We decided that if he talked to her it would be best. He did and it was all just a little misunderstanding. They are still "going out". Then, last week he got his final win as a beginner at BMX. So, tonight he had to race as an intermediate. Just my luck, no 10 year old intermediate kids showed up. So, they did the logical thing, put him in the 10 year old EXPERT class. Makes perfect sense, yes? NO!!! Once again I had to have a tear filled conversation with my son. Of course he raced like a man not a girl, but I swear he has girl emotions. Maybe next week when he turns 11 the girl emotions will go away. Do you think? I must admit I really enjoy the Mom/Son talks late at night in his bed. Its so true that Moms have a special relationship with their Sons, especially if he is the only one. Sound familliar anyone? I swear yesterday he was Gracie's size. Now only one more quick year and he will hold the priesthood. Yikes.

2 comments:

Keli said...

Oh, how cute is Carter! So 19 year old Expert didn't work out too well, I take it. He'll be fine, and it will give him better experience for next week.

So he has his first girlie friend? How funny! Are you scared? I would be mortified to find out Emma was going out in 5th grade. Of course, I had boyfriend in 5th grade. In fact, I think it was Sean! Maybe he'll end up marrying Kendal.

Meg & Josh said...

They are "going out"! You have got to be kigging me, right? Carter is certainly not old enough to be "going" with some girl! I swear, time flies.... Scary to think the next one is McKinley. Jill, you are in for it, you think boys are bad! :)