The other night we went out for a well needed date. We left the children home and told them we would be back in 2 hours.
Santa brought Olivia a electric scooter for Christmas. She was very excited to get it charged and on the road. It was charging and needed to charge for 18 hours. It still had 5 hours to go.
We pulled up to Pei Wei, our favorite, ready for some cheap PF Changs. What?! It was gone. In the week we were in Utah it had packed up and closed. Bummer. We were kinda out of the mood now and decided to just call Olive Garden and get take out.
The scooter was just to tempting sitting all charging and ready to ride. What would be the hurt in riding it just a little for a few minutes before Mom and Dad got home. We would never know, right?
We pulled up to the house with dinner in hand, an hour early mind you, and could hear all kinds of laughter and screaming going on inside the house. Wow. They are getting along and no one is fighting! As we opened the door we saw why. The scooter was wildly being rode throughout the house. Round and round. Two kids at a time. Even three at a time. Then the fear. When they saw us standing there horror filled their faces. It was a "oh crap" moment. We have all had them. Then the best part of this story was about to unfold. Gracie, in her mumbling baby language, took me by the hand and led me to the wall in the living room. She was pointing at the wall mumbling, "Mmmmm Boom, Waa Waa". The translation was they were riding the scooter and Olivia didn't know where the break was and Hit the wall. Then cried. Yes, there is a big hole in my wall.
What was I to do? They disobeyed us. But, it was pretty funny. Yelling wouldn't fix the hole, so we talked to them and then all had a good laugh. Now I had a choice, do I tell them about the time I was supposed to put the 4 wheelers away and didn't and crashed into the fence. It knocked me out and cut me up. I couldn't hide that from my parents either. What would you have done? Of course I told them. Then we all laughed harder.


10 comments:
Or all those times we slid down the stairs with the gymnastics mats, or watching MTV and drinking Chocolate Milk in the lilving room, and....
We all do it.
Watching MTV and drinking chocolate milk?????? WHAT????? ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? It's no wonder you guys like the Utes. That is totally unacceptable.
You are such a good mom. I'm sure your kids appreciated that you were all able to laugh together.
That is so funny! We all can relate to the "uh oh mom and dad are going to kill us--so we may as well have fun anyway." feeling.
The whole time I was reading this post, I was thinking of the 4 wheeler into the fence experience...And then there it was. ROFL!!!
How can we expect our kids to be any different than we were.
This was just the story I needed to give me a good laugh before bed. :) Thanks Jill.
Does this mean when my kids start driving I will have to tell them the time I backed into the brick wall of our house?
Ooh, Oooh, I have one! Like when Troy rammed the yellow blazer through the garage wall! That was funny!
But yes, we all do it. Sadly, our parents told us the same things, but we thought there was no way because they were OLD! They didn't even have fun invented when they were kids!
And here we are, saying the same thing to our kids, only we're not old.
And I'm pretty sure dad has punched bigger holes than that one in various walls throughout the house, so don't even worry about it!
I'm glad Aaron never did any wrong when he was growing up.
I meant anything wrong.
Travis and I (more I) decided there are MANY stories from Travis' childhood that the kids are to never hear. I'm glad you had a good laugh. I don't think I'm to that point in life yet.
Post a Comment