So I am heading for Utah today!!! Yea!!! I am so excited. I decided I needed to post before I go, because it might be a while, so I searched "Utah" on the web for a picture to put with my post. I actually learned some new things about Utah. I lived there for 30 something years, and didn't know the following (although most of them are no brainers, and Meg will enjoy the bullets)
- State cooking pot = Dutch oven
- State fruit = Cherry
- State rock = Coal
- State insect = Honey bee
- State folk dance = Square dance
- State gem = Topaz
- State Vegetable = Spanish sweet onion
- State historical vegetable = Sugar beet
- Utah is 84,900 square miles and ranked the 11th largest state (in terms of square miles) in the U.S.
So, I hope you all have learned a little something. I can't wait to see my family and get to spend time with them.



5 comments:
I do LOVE the bullets! Yay! i can't wait to see you all!! Why is our State Vegetable the SPANISH sweet onion? Anyone else think that is weird?
30 years? Geez, how old are you Jill???? Two more to add: (1) State Flower is the Sego Lily, and (2) I think the state fish is the Bear Lake Cutthroat Trout. --Andrew
Oh, and the reason it is the spanish sweet onion is because people from Utah refer to anything that speaks spanish as "spanish." Thus, Mexicans are Spanish and so are Puerto Ricans and Panamanians. What this has to do with onions, I don't know, but I just wanted to use it as a reason to bag on Utahns. --Andrew
Okay Jill- you must have way too much time on your hands to be learning so much Utah trivia! Next time you should get us up to speed on Nevada.
Andrew- you seem very hostile towards Utahns. I hope you don't end up retiring there someday. Ha Ha!
By the way Jill, I can't believe how big Gracie has gotten. They grow up so fast that first year. She is so adorable!
Post a Comment