I have lived in Las Vegas now for 5 years. Before that I had lived in little old Riverton, Ut. for all but 3 years of my life. My parents still live in the same house they built when I was 1. I remember when it changed from a town a city. I also remember it before they tore down all the old stores along Redwood Road to widen it. I really didn't know anything else except small town. Growing up there was way different than it is now. Way smaller. But some things will never change. Like:
- "The Store" If you are a true Riverton-ite you shop at Peterson's. And usually on Saturday morning. But there are plenty of good ole' people there anytime of the day. If you are really special as am I, you get checked out up at the Customer Service booth. My aunt works there. I actually worked there, but not the store it is now. I think it has expanded 3 times.
- Downtown is not the strip, it is about 2 strip malls.
- How do you lock the door?
- Rugs. My Mom has got the floor covered in rugs. Always has.
- The best neighbors in the whole world
- More than one stop light.
- Fences between most of the houses
- "getting the water" is turning on the sprinklers, not going to the canal for irrigation water.
- There is a house in the field where we spent a lot of time riding 3 wheelers and playing hide and seek.
- More houses than I ever imagined.
- Actual restaurants. Ones that you go and sit down not just pick up take out.
It has really been good to spend so much time in the city where I grew up. A lot of memories from my childhood. It has made me think twice about raising my kids in such a big city.


8 comments:
Does "think twice" equal "move back to Riverton"? It is weird to move away and then see all the changes that happened while you were gone. I moved away and they made all the Albertson's and Peterson's changes. I didn't even recognize it anymore. Too weird. And, the fact that we FINALLY have chain restaurants and Home Depot and Lowes and a Walmart is truly a miracle!
BTW - We loved having your kids in our primary!
"The Store". It will always be "the store". What about the Holiday? The one with Mom and Dad's account? We could have bought anything on that account, and they would have never known! And remember the old Golden Tree? The one in the old creepy house by the old elementary? Yeah, good times.
My dad told me that our houses were built really close to the same time and we used to play with you and Troy on the big dirt hills from digging the foundation. This, I can't remember, I would have only been 4 and as you said you were a toddler.
I remember riding my bike down 12600 South to the drug store for candy. Only an insane person would let their 8-10 year old ride their bike to the store now. Plus the old drug store is gone. :(
Did you ever walk through the field behind my house, before there were houses to the old gas station on Redwood and buy penny candy? That was fun too.
I remember the old Christmas decorations, the big tree by the old crane house/Golden Tree that was all lit up and all the cute things they hung all down the road.
And... how about playing hide and seek in the tall alfalfa (I can't figure out how to spell that!!)fields. I also remember playing baseball in the vacant field by Losees, we used to play all kinds of things in that field. Man why do things have to change? I still love Riverton. The baseball park has many memories too.
I also grew up in a small town and I wouldn't trade my childhood for anything. It's so sad when you move away and things change.
Your post made me remember a few things about Riverton- and I didn't even grow up there! I knew Peterson's was referred to as "The Store"- I worked at the Albertson's right across the street for a year- so that was like 12 years ago- I know the remodeled both stores- so I don't know what they look like now.
I agree about raising kids in a big city- hence the move to Bentonville! There are so many good people in Las Vegas, but there is also so much bad. I like where we are now- of course there is always going to be some bad but not near as much! Are you trying to tell everyone you are moving to Riverton?!?!!??
I've been to River 'un a couple of times. Oh my heck it was so super rad! (OK, I am not good at pretending to be from Utah)! Small towns are cool. I'm down with small towns. I'd move to one if my profession didn't become irrelevant in small mormon towns. Who needs a lawyer when you have the high council? --Andrew
I lived in a whole bunch of little towns in Utah until I was 8 and then we moved to Vegas. I still consider Utah my home town even though I have lived here for 19!
For some reason Vegas just doesnt have that "Home town feel"!
i have only been here for 5 years, but I really miss the River Queen. That was the place where Mike and I went to eat after we chose our lot for the house we 'built' I will never forget that place.
On that same side of the street, there are some really really old houses that my kids are very afraid of....
Post a Comment