Thursday, February 21, 2008

Help

I decided I am going back to Utah where I don't have to worry about Washing Machines or Smoke Detectors. Please read on. I need help from all of my blogger friends.

My washing machine has been making a bad noise for a while, so I knew it was coming, but it doesn't make it any easier. When I started it yesterday the water was coming out as fast as it was going in. Thank heaven for that little tray/drain. So, with the neverending piles of laundry from out trip I headed over to Aaron's office house to do my laundry. I am so glad there is a washer and dryer there.

The night before we left for Utah, our smoke detectors started going off and wouldn't stop. They contunued for an hour!!! Our ears were ringing and heads pounding. We were all hanging out in my bathroom because it was the only place there wasn't one. Aaron tried everything, and finaly he just disconnected them all. The only problem is that two of them are beeping that awful noise like when the battery is low. We can't stop them. They are disconnected and still beeping. UGGGGGGG!!!!

Here is where the help from you comes. If anyone knows how to fix the beeping of the smoke detectors before I go postal, please let me know. The next bit of help is with my washer and dryer. I am done with crappy non-matching ones. I am going to get the front load set that I have wanted. I have heard some of you say that you love yours, and some of you say that you hate yours. So, tell me, what you love and hate and what kind you have. Boy, it is nice to have blog sisters!!!!

9 comments:

Castiel Moyes said...

Aren't those smoke alarms the most annoying thing EVER! Dustin has figured out to get them to stop beeping but I don't know how he does it. I know that it involves disconnecting it from the ceiling but after that I don't know. I just have to change the batteries to get them to stop. Good luck in the bathroom!

Leavitt said...

Jill we have the front loading Whirlpool duet. I have them stacked and love it for this. I actually love them completely, but we have already had to have a repair on the washer. Which, reading online, is a common problem. So if you go with them, get the extended waranty. Ours started having the problem about a week after the waranty ran out. I think the Kenmore is the exact same machine, just different name. but I have to say, it is soo nice to wash an entire week's worth of kids jeans in one load!

Heidi said...

Yikes, I don't know how much help I can be. Besides changing the batteries I don't know what else to do on the smoke detectors.
I've heard good and bad on the front loading, but if that's what you really want I say get it. I've heard their capacity is awesome, plus some have a steam and sanitize feature I think would be neat.
My only suggestion is buy Kenmore Sears) brand. I've had their highest capacity top loading washer for over 4 years now and not one single problem. I also have Kenmore brand dryer, fridge, microwave and vacuum. They are the best and none of my appliances have ever needed repair.

Kelli said...

Jill, I love my LG Front Load Washer and Dryer. The only things I have noticed is that when you wash something big, like a quilt, it gets unbalanced sometimes and won't spin. The other thing is sometimes it gets a little smell, like mildew, when it hasn't been used for a few days. But I love them and wouldn't change.

Meg & Josh said...

I have no expertise in this area, considering I still have to go home to do laundrey, but I really like the orange ones. I think you should get those.

Keli said...

Get the LG for sure. I love mine. They do get a smell, like Kelli said, but I just leave the washer door open over night and it's fine. They have a feature called delay wash, so you can load up the washer, set the timer, go to bed, and the clothes will be all washed first thing in the morning. No more mildewy overnight wet clothes. Plus they have the cutest colors! I love the new sea foam, but I'm sure that will look dated in a few years. But the red and blue are awesome. I have the titanium I think, and it's pretty neutral.

The smoke detectors are hooked up to a fuse in the fuse box. That way they will still work, even if the batteries die. Just flip the breaker, and that should do the trick. If not, I don't know what to tell you. Sorry.

Hope this helps!

Darrell and Alissa said...

Good luck- I have no valuble input!

Heidi said...

I'd rather listen to smoke detectors than have to listen to all the apostate mormons in Utah. Remember--don't be a Utard. --Andrew

Kim Marx said...

I'm a firm believer of cheap - or inexpensive - washer and dryers. I'm a very simple washer. I need load size and 3 basic temperature settings and gentle or regular. All the other stuff is just confusing. and I hate to say this line because it came from my dad 35 years ago (I think he was talking about putting an AM radio in a car he was buying though...) The more parts there are on it, the more things break and need to get repaired, it's a conspiracy by the manufacturers.
There's a great appliance parts store on Eastern and 95. They're super helpful and tell you what's wrong. Replacing a cracked tub is probably cheaper than buying a space age washer and dryer. But you've been wanting them, so go for it.
I'm more and more impressed with Keli all the time. She knew about the breaker switch.